Monday, January 09, 2012

Earplugs and Oxygen

Judging by the cybercasts for the past two days (go to http://www.alpineascents.com/aconcagua-cybercast.asp) --- Matt's team has been getting quite a bit of wind. Winds are steady at about about 40 mph with gusts as high as 50-60 mph. The lead guide, Mark, said these are called the "vientos blancos" or white winds. Apparently they nestled in today at camp III (coming out of their tents for about 30 minutes to eat eggs for breakfast) but they're hopeful the winds will calm down and they'll make it to high camp tomorrow (20600 feet) and have a good summit day following. Matt brought the book "For Whom The Bell Tolls" to read on these kinds of days.......I'm imagining the day passed very slowly for him.

Carol (Matt's mom) alterted me to a website where you can see the forcast all the way up the mountain...highs of 14 degrees Fahrenheit today at 19,686 feet!
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Aconcagua/forecasts/6000

She also has potentially deciphered their team name as something related to an Argentinian boxer named "Pepe" Raul Horatio Balbi, a light weight boxing champion from Buenos Aires. I googled and found a ladies store in Buenos Aires named "Pipi cucu" which I also think is a close contendor. :) I also found some interesting videos on you tube that use similar terminology....

They are 5 hours ahead of us in Oregon (only 2 hours ahead for those of you in crazy places like Vermont and Florida) - so send some calming wind thoughts when you wake tomorrow morning!

No comments: