It's hard to imagine a more comforting place than the Columbia River Gorge. Maybe it's the towering green hills, the river front revitalized towns, or the fact that I spent the first 18 years of my life maturing in this region. Or it might also be the fact that I've recently earned my Master's degree and I'm waiting for my summer job to start (read: vacation), or that I'm finally close enough to my family and boyfriend to get more hugs in a day than I've had over the course of the past year, or perhaps it's just the peace of beautiful skies, breath-taking views, hikes around each bend (the majority being on public property), smiles from strangers, rough one finger waves (the pointer not the middle) when driving, and clean crisp mountain air. Despite the source of my joy and content, this is my favorite place on earth (but don't plan to move here if you're from California...it's not that good ;)).
Anyway. The road trip across the USA will happen later (see previous post). I chose the fast route home via Delta Airlines so that I could settle in and enjoy the Columbia Gorge (and those good people in my life who live near it) for as much time as possible this summer. There will always be big choices ahead....but I am breathing deeply in my ability to relax and enjoy the peace of the present moment. My identity is already set here in the Gorge: intelligent, motivated, kind, and hard working to name a few descriptors. There is definitely something calming about feeling nothing to prove.
Tuesday, May 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment