Why do some people have a tendency to punish themselves despite living a life of general success? (note that the third person generally implicates first person perspectives.) I just googled "How do you stop being hard on yourself" and found that being hard on yourself seems to be a pretty common trend in the world. Upward or downward comparison aside -- the spin you place on language and perception can make any reference to other fit your mood.
So what did my dad suggest?
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html (I recommend buying the coffee cup)
or go to http://www.flickr.com/ and select "Explore Flickr" then hit More interesting photos from "the last 7 days" :). You will be amazed at the beauty.
So distraction is the key. Or somehow finding a way to help you reference your reality (call someone, go for a walk, bake something, write a card, worship, do yoga, read, breath, sing, dance, brush your hair, smile, smile, smile again). Erin said something so wise before I left Vermont, which I'm going to manipulate and apply for my own purposes and meaning...I think my goal this summer will to try to be China (glacial in pace and perspective, meaning slow and steady wins the race and as such stay consistent and motivated) rather than the US (done yesterday or don't do it at all).
Anyway. I feel much better now.
Sunday, May 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment